Surrounding passage

Examining the death, burial, resurrection and ascension of Jesus and His Lordship. What does it mean that He is ascended over all heavens?
Dandelion

Surrounding passage

Postby Dandelion » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:04 pm

23And Jesus responded to them, saying, ‘The hour hath come that the Son of Man may be glorified; 24verily, verily, I say to you, if the grain of the wheat, having fallen to the earth, may not die, itself remaineth alone; and if it may die, it doth bear much fruit; 25he who is loving his life shall lose it, and he who is hating his life in this world — to life age-during shall keep it; 26if any one may minister to me, let him follow me, and where I am, there also my ministrant shall be; and if any one may minister to me — honour him will the Father.

27‘Now hath my soul been troubled, and what? shall I say — Father, save me from this hour? — but because of this I came to this hour; 28Father, glorify Thy name.’ There came, therefore, a voice out of the heaven, ‘I both glorified, and again I will glorify [it];’ 29the multitude, therefore, having stood and heard, were saying that there hath been thunder; others said, ‘A messenger hath spoken to him.’ 30Jesus answered and said, ‘Not because of me hath this voice come, but because of you; 31now is a judgment of this world, now shall the ruler of this world be cast forth; 32and I, if I may be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto myself.’ 33And this he said signifying by what death he was about to die; 34the multitude answered him, ‘We heard out of the law that the Christ doth remain — to the age; and how dost thou say, That it behoveth the Son of Man to be lifted up? who is this — the Son of Man?’ 35Jesus, therefore, said to them, ‘Yet a little time is the light with you; walk while ye have the light, that darkness may not overtake you; and he who is walking in the darkness hath not known where he goeth; 36while ye have the light, believe in the light, that sons of light ye may become.’

These things spake Jesus, and having gone away, he was hid from them 37yet he having done so many signs before them, they were not believing in him, 38that the word of Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled, which he said, ‘Lord, who gave credence to our report? and the arm of the Lord — to whom was it revealed?’ 39Because of this they were not able to believe, that again Isaiah said, 40‘He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart, that they might not see with the eyes, and understand with the heart, and turn back, and I might heal them;’ 41these things said Isaiah, when he saw his glory, and spake of him. 42Still, however, also out of the rulers did many believe in him, but because of the Pharisees they were not confessing, that they might not be put out of the synagogue, 43for they loved the glory of men more than the glory of God. 44And Jesus cried and said, ‘He who is believing in me, doth not believe in me, but in Him who sent me; 45and he who is beholding me, doth behold Him who sent me; 46I a light to the world have come, that every one who is believing in me — in the darkness may not remain; 47and if any one may hear my sayings, and not believe, I — I do not judge him, for I came not that I might judge the world, but that I might save the world. 48‘He who is rejecting me, and not receiving my sayings, hath one who is judging him, the word that I spake, that will judge him in the last day, 49because I spake not from myself, but the Father who sent me.........

This is from Young's Literal Translation.

I know it always helps me to look at that, when thinking of a specific verse, so I posted it, for us all to look at, together.

A prelude to the targeted verse, is the verse about a grain of wheat dying to produce much fruit....and that, if it does not die, it remains alone. So, we are told that Jesus must die, to produce an abundance of fruit.

We are also told, in this passage, that the ruler of this world, is now to be cast out,and a judgement, on the entire world, will occur. In the midst of this, Jesus is saying that He will draw all men to Himself, if He is lifted from this earth.

He tells the people to walk in the light, while He is here, so that the darkness will not overpower them.

We are also referred back to passages of Isaiah, where he is saying that the people's hearts were hardened, and their eyes were blinded, so that they might turn back and be healed by Jesus. Isaiah pronounced these things, when he saw the glory of Jesus. I see this as saying that the people's hearts and eyes were allowed to be hardened, so that they would need to turn to Jesus, to be healed.

I think I find verses 46 to 49 the most surprising and interesting. In a nutshell, He is saying that He is the light which will dispel the darkness, which is a recurring theme of this passage; that He is not judging, as He came into the world to save, and not judge, but that His Word, will serve as the source of judgement, on the last day.

I see a lot of implications here, that would support UR.

D.
Love never fails. 1Corinthians13:8

Return to “If I Am Lifted Up”