Aion and Olam

Translation issues related to the ages and worlds, correction and punishment, nullification and destruction. Olam/Aion/Kolassis/apollea/etc
admin
Site Admin

Aion and Olam

Postby admin » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:42 pm

I think too much is made of aion as always having to have an ending point and I look to roots in Hebrew thought, cosmology and language over what greek studies by western minds might assert about certain greek usages of the word, which are not all that abundant outside the scriptures.

I think the thought was hebrew and aion is drawn from OLAM- especially considering the possibility that the words might have been originally spoken in aramaic or syriac or even hebrew.

But even if the whole of NT scripture was written in Greek, it is clear to e that Paul, the "Hebrew of Hebrews" had a mindset illuminated by the Spirit and rooted in Hebrew cosmology- the only true root cosmology.

In Hebrew thought OLAM could be eternal/everlasting or not, depending on the context and the subject it was attached to. it could mean "in the far distant past"(gen 6:4) or it could mean into the endless unseen eternal nature of God (Gen 21:33)

This is because OLAM is not a definite descriptive term like "short" or "long" or even "endless" or "age-during". It was a word used in conjunction with the subject it was applied to and always meant an indefinable variable period or place. And it still has that meaning in hebrew thought today.

Olam Ha-ba means the "world age to come"; Olam Ha-ze means this present evil "world/time"; Tikkun Olam means "repairing the world" and describes the transitional principle upon which a good Jewish person lives moving from Olam Ha-ze into Olam Ha-ba.

so for me, Universalists have gone "too far all in" on the definition of aion as being the overriding thought- always as a period of time with a beginning and an end. IMO the "aion of aions" refers to the unending age after the "gathering of all things into one in Christ", when death is undone and God has become "everything in everyone" or "all in all".

When we try to tell hellists that aion "never means forever"- I think we are incorrect and going beyond what is necessary and throwing up a destructible reason for our belief- because some scholarly opponents of UR know that what i am saying about aion is correct- the argument that it never meant forever to the speaker in the moment in time that he wrote it is not really supportable as an absolute(or imo even close to an absolute). There is WAY YONDER MORE evidence in scripture clearly asserting that ALL will eventually be "reconciled(Col 1); subjected(1 Cor 15); gathered into one in Christ(Eph 1); made alive(Romans 5); shown mercy(Ro 11)..... for it to be necessary to force that one issue (which i believe would be better explained through the use of OLAM as the root thought behind the Greeks use of aion) Olam communicates the basic concept which originated in the hebrew thoughts that were given to them by the Holy Spirit. Those thoughts are not eliminated in the NT, they are simply transcended and fulfilled. aion, is just a transliterated word for olam.

"Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God (´elohi `ôlām),
the Creator of the ends of the earth." (Isaiah 40:28)
"The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood" - Eaglesway
"Concepts create idols; only wonder comprehends anything" - Gregory of Nyssa

Return to “Translating the Ages”